ARI - Residence permit for investment activity
The Portuguese Authorities launched the Golden Visa programme in October 2012, with the latest revision in January 2022, as a fast-track way for foreign investors to obtain a fully valid five-year residence permit.
Who can apply?
Golden Visas are available for Non-EU/EEE/Swiss citizens.
How can a Golden Visa be applied for?
Applications are processed via SEF (Portugal’s Immigration and Border Control Service).
Due to SEF’s restructuring, it is advisable to contact a lawyer or a specialised immigration services company to do this for you as it can be quite complex.
How long is the Golden Visa valid for?
Once issued, the Golden Visa is valid for five years; however, it is necessary to renew it after the second and fourth year.
What is the minimum stay required?
The minimum stay in Portugal is seven days in the first year, then a minimum stay of 14 days spread over the next two years, and the same for the last two years.
How much will a Golden Visa cost?
The total cost is approximately €6,500 for fees, taxes, the national insurance card, plus additional professional fees.
How long does the process take?
It can take a year, but a specialised law firm or immigration company could reduce this.
What type of investment is necessary, and for how long?
Any of the below, as well as some other options, are eligible as long as the investment is not financed and is for a minimum of five years:
- Purchase of real estate in some regions of the country of over €500,000.
- Purchase of real estate over 30 years old for renovation, or located in urban renewal areas of over €350,000.
- Capital transfers of over €1,500,000.
- Investment in reconstruction or refurbishment of national heritage properties of over €250,000.
- Various financial investments are available of over €350,000.
- Job creation of over ten permanent positions.
In which areas can the real estate investment be located?
Since January 2022, investment in real estate for residential use has been generally restricted to inland or low-populated areas. In the Algarve, the far east region and certain inland areas are still possible to invest in.
However, touristic classified real estate investment continues to be available throughout the country, with many excellent properties in the Algarve, Lisbon, Porto, and other areas.
What are the benefits?
- No need to obtain a visa to enter Portugal.
- Travel freely in the Schengen area, which comprises 26 European Countries.
- Live and work in Portugal, even with permanent residency in a different country.
- Allows family reunification.
- Extremely low minimum stay periods.
- Permanent Residency after five years, or the possibility to apply for Portuguese citizenship.
All individual fiscal situations are different, and regulations change. Therefore, immigration advice should always be requested from SEF, an immigration service company or a specialised law firm. We are happy to recommend reputable companies.
How may we help you?
We will be happy to receive your enquiry and contacts, so that our experienced and friendly staff can assist you.